The Shiverick Ship Yard on Sesuit Harbor. Asa Shiverick launched his first vessel, a schooner, in 1815. This was followed by a square-rigged brig, many more schooners, and eventually eight handsome clipper ships that would grace harbors around the world. The Shivericks (Asa would be joined by three sons in 1837) moved the shipyard near the mouth of Sesuit Creek to enable the launching of the much larger clipper ships, the only Cape shipyard to build such vessels. Financing was principally provided by Dennis native Christopher Hall. A Plaque honoring the Shivericks was dedicated in 1924. The eight clipper ships they built were: Revenue, Hippogriffe, Belle of the West, Kit Carson, Wild Hunter, Webfoot, Christopher Hall, and Ellen Sears.

Archives within this collection

Artifacts in this collection

Recent Submissions