West Dennis Graded School House
MetadataShow full item record
SubjectWest Dennis Graded School House
DescriptionWest Dennis Graded School House, Corner of School & Pond Street, West Dennis. Each of the town's five villages beginning in 1859 replaced the one room schools with graded schoolhouses. The West Dennis schoolhouse was the last to be built and the only one which survives. Natural light filtering through the large windows provided the only illumination. A bell, crafted in 1864, hangs in the cupola and called classes to order. The school closed in 1931 and has since been used for town meetings, voting and community social activities. The schoolhouse is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.